Tried It: Whaddyalove Chocolate - Conrad the Unicorn Sparkle Bar and The Classic Bar



This arrived just days after the Baltimore Faerie Faire came to my neighborhood.
With three daughters, I've decided to just embrace glitter. So today I'm trying a Conrad the Unicorn Sparkle bar by Whaddyalove Chocolate. I also have their Classic Bar to try. The company provided these samples to me free of charge but has not otherwise compensated me for this post.

The taste of the Sparkle Bar is a decent-to-good chocolate bar flavor. I'd call it a mild dark chocolate. It has a hint of salt. The flavor is better, more subtle and with a stronger chocolate taste and less of a candy taste, than your standard Hershey's bar. The edible glitter that gives it that visual panache doesn't seem to taste like much. Unfortunately, the bar doesn't melt evenly in my mouth, which leaves the mouthfeel not as smooth as I'd like.

Chocolate wrapped in nostalgia; I'll bite.
I love the packaging, which reminds me of the riddle puppets, which others call cootie-catchers, I played with as a kid. And the edible glitter is a nice look. So, on presentation, full marks. But the texture and flavor could use a little improvement.

In the Classic Bar, however, they nailed the flavor and texture. It's a really nice chocolate. It just barely rides the line of having a fruity note, but stays away from sourness. It's rich, and it melts nicely in my mouth. Though it doesn't have glitter, the finish has an attractive sheen. This version also has that fun packaging.

I gave half of the Sparkle Bar to my three-year-old daughter, who squealed and then showed it off to everyone in the room before munching it down happily.

Honestly, it'd be weird if a chocolate bar named that had austere, restrained branding.



Popular Posts